Office of Research Administration
The Office of Research Administration (ORA) has been established in accordance with strategic and scientific goals of the organization for the purposes of facilitating institutional review and implementation of all clinical research being conducted within the Conemaugh Health System environment. The ORA is responsible for review of research proposals for scientific merit, methodology, and institutional feasibility. The ORA will coordinate and assist as needed, with all aspects of the research review process to include contractual, billing, training, and departmental and institutional approvals.
In promoting research compliance while advancing the academic mission of the organization, the ORA provides uniform requirements, comprehensive resources, research education, and training and record keeping to support the research efforts of the medical staff, residents, employees, students, research sponsors and grantors.
Functions of the Office of Research Administration
The Office of Research Administration is a necessary resource in the development and implementation of clinical research projects regardless of “point of origin” (outside sponsor, funding source, investigator-initiated). The Office will assist in protocol and budget development, negotiation with outside sponsors, and adherence to regulatory requirements, including human subject’s protection. It is the intent of the Office to provide ongoing educational opportunities to all investigators, including those in graduate medical education programs. The Office provides instruction in clinical research, study design and methodology, and Good Clinical Practices. The research curriculum is designed for resident education and novice investigators to meet requirements set forth by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
The Office of Research Administration provides comprehensive resources for new and experienced clinical investigators including administrative support to plan, implement, and conduct clinical research within the Conemaugh Health System. Available services include:
- Assistance in protocol development, including recommendations for study design and implementation
- Assessment of project feasibility and overall merit
- Statisical methodology development and analysis
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Assistance with budget development and billing plan for research services and research patient care
- Education of clinical investigators, including physicians, resident physicians, and other healthcare professionals in research design, methodology and interpretation
- Identification of potential research coordinators to assist in research projects
- Maintenance of research credentials for clinical investigators
- Assistance in matching clinical investigators with research opportunities
Theresa McCreary, MS, MT(ASCP)SH
Research Study Coordinator
Thomas Simunich, MS, MBA