Conemaugh East Hills
1450 Scalp Avenue
Johnstown, PA 15904
Conemaugh Miners Medical Center
290 Haida Avenue
Hastings, PA 16646
Aquatics Therapy at Conemaugh Rehabilitation consists of supervised exercises performed in the water. Swimming is not a prerequisite skill for water therapy. Aquatics Therapy staff complete extensive safety training for working with patients. Therapy is covered by most health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. Most managed care health plans require pre-authorization prior to treatment. A prescription is needed from the patient's primary care physician.
Aquatic therapy is a specialized therapy that is useful to treat a variety of conditions including, but not limited to:
- Back pain
- Balance problems
- Joint pain from sports injuries or arthritis
- Musculoskeletal conditions such as a fracture from a recent injury or accident
- Neurological conditions such as those recovering from stroke or brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Orthopedic Injuries
- Chronic Pain
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
- Warmth of the water helps to relax and relieve aching muscles and helps to reduce pain.
- Warm water stimulates body awareness, balance, and trunk stability.
- Viscosity of water is an excellent source of resistance for strength training.
- Natural buoyancy of the water helps to decrease stress on joints making it easier and less painful to perform exercises.
- Blood vessels dilate during water therapy promoting healing to the injury site.
- Assists in transition to land-based therapy programs.
Improved Patient Outcomes
- Improve muscle strength and endurance
- Improve balance and coordination
- Reduce joint stress
- Reduce muscle pain and spasm
- Improve posture, alignment, and stability
- Improve power, speed, and agility
- Achieve easier ambulation