Conemaugh Lactation Services
Conemaugh Health System's Lactation Team consists of three board-certified lactation consultants and three certified lactation counselors. Our lactation consultants are Registered Nurses and are each an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Expecting and new moms meet with members of our Lactation Team prior to, and after, delivery. To schedule an appointment, call (814) 534-3144.
CLICK HERE for more information on the Conemaugh Outpatient Lactation Department.
Best for Baby
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that human milk be a baby's primary source of nutrition for the first year. Benefits of breast milk include:
- Ideal food - has just what baby needs in just the right amounts.
- Breastfed babies are healthier - breast milk provides baby with protection to fight infection. They will have fewer earaches, colds and asthma.
- Provides comfort - breastfed babies have frequent closeness with mom - they feel secure and satisfy their needs.
- Human breast milk is easy to digest - baby will have less colic, constipation and upset stomach.
- Breastfeeding provides protection against allergies.
- Breast milk promotes baby's brain growth and studies suggest that breastfed babies have a higher IQ.
- There is a decrease risk of certain childhood cancers and juvenile diabetes in breastfed children.
- Better tooth, gum and jaw development.
Baby Friendly 10 Steps
Best for Mom and Family
- Breastfeeding saves you money. It's free.
- Breastfeeding is convenient - no mixing, measuring, heating or clean up. Breast milk is always ready when baby needs it.
- Breastfeeding helps you get your shape back faster. Making breast milk uses calories, so you can lose your pregnancy weight faster.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.
- Still undecided? Read what other moms have to say about breastfeeding.