Mentoring in Medicine
Mentoring in Medicine is a ten-week paid summer internship for students who are currently sophomores, juniors, or seniors in college or completing the first year of medical school. Students must be on a pre-medicine track with plans to become a physician. This is a competitive internship and students must have home residence in Bedford, Cambria, or Somerset counties.
- Provide academically talented college students who are interested in medical fields to have real-life experiences that will encourage them to seek careers that will return them to the region.
- Enhance the resumes of our college students to provide the clinical experience that will assist them with their applications to medical or graduate school.
- Provide mentoring experiences with physicians that will provide long-term support to these students and encourage the connection to the area.
- 10-weeks in duration
- 1 week rotations with different physicians in different specialty areas
- 8 weeks of “required” rotations including ER, General Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Family Practice, Pediatrics/Obstetrics, Pathology, Radiology, and Orthopedic Surgery
- 2 weeks of “elective” rotations with areas of specialization that the student selects
- Weekly journal club activities for review of current literature
- Participation in medical education conferences as appropriate
- Basic skill training: Vital sign assessment, use of a stethoscope, medical terminology
- Students will rotate with staff as their week dictates: If with ER physician and working nights, student will work nights.
- Educational review regarding HIPAA, confidentiality, professionalism
- To be coordinated by Dr. Alex Pozun
- $2,000 stipend/student
Students will be evaluated at the end of the summer, an appropriate letter of support will be sent to student’s college file. Students will be expected to complete end-of-summer paper that outlines experiences.
Alex Pozun, DO
Melissa Pozun, DPT
Email Alex and Melissa at email@example.com
Interested students can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application. Applications are due by February 14, 2022.