Trying to Conceive
It is important for women to take care of themselves before trying to become pregnant. Understanding health conditions and risk factors will help adopt a healthy life style for baby's health and development. Schedule a visit with Conemaugh Physician Group - OB / Gyn Physicians to discuss plans for pregnancy.
The most important things Mom can do before becoming pregnant:
- Take 400 micrograms of folic acid every day, at least three (3) months before pregnancy.
- Stop smoking, avoid secondhand smoke and the use of tobacco products of any kind.
- If you have a medical condition, be sure it is under control. Some conditions include asthma, diabetes, depression, high blood pressure, obesity, thyroid issues, and epilepsy.
- Be sure all vaccinations are current.
- Talk to your doctor about any prescription and over-the-counter medicine you are taking, including dietary or herbal supplements.
- Avoid contact with toxic substances or materials at work and home that can be harmful. Stay away from chemicals and cat or rodent feces.