Families and friends are welcome to spend time with a new mother and her baby. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind as you prepare to visit them.
Parents, Siblings and Grandparents
Parents have unlimited visiting privileges and should remain at the infant's bedside. A nurse will teach you how to wash your hands at your first visit. You should then follow this procedure before each visit. Before you enter the Nursery, please contact the nurse. There may be times when you will need to wait. Siblings of the baby who are over two years of age may visit. Please have a nurse explain the sibling visiting policy before the first planned visit.
Grandparents must be accompanied by the infant's parents. Please limit visitors at the baby's bedside to two (one grandparent and one parent) at a time. Since grandparents may visit any time with parents, we ask that they do not visit during the friends/relatives visiting times. Grandparents may touch and hold the baby for a short period, and are permitted to feed, bathe or render any other care at the discretion of the parents and nursing staff.
Other Family Members and Friends
Family members and friends are welcome to visit mother and baby. Visiting hours for family and friends are:
- Weekdays: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Weekends/Holidays: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
A few things to keep in mind:
- Please limit visitors at the bedside to two -- one parent and one visitor.
- Hospital policy requires that children must be over the age of 13 to visit; however, this does not apply to the baby's siblings.
- Parents should teach their visitors how to wash their hands.
- Staff members are not permitted to discuss the infant's condition with visitors.
- Visitors are not permitted to hold, feed or touch infant.
- Depending on activities on the unit, it may be necessary to ask you and your visitors to step out of the Nursery.
Exceptions to the visiting guidelines can be made at the discretion of the Charge Nurse. Thank you