On February 22, 1922, a group of young women, mostly daughters of the members of the hospital’s first auxiliary, organized the Junior Auxiliary to the Women’s Memorial Hospital Association, and established a tradition of service and caring. When the Auxiliary incorporated as a non-profit organization in 1935, it became the Junior Auxiliary of Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital.
The Auxiliary’s initial expressed intent was the support of the children’s department, but as additional needs arose, the Auxiliary stepped in. During the Depression, the Auxiliary paid for groceries, drugs, heating and lighting for the hosptial. When the lack of funds for a new curriculum threatened to close the School of Nursing in 1939, the Auxiliary purchased the “White House” for use as a nurses’ residence. In 1949, financial assistance for nursing students was provided with the establishment of the Student Nurse Loan Fund.
Over the past 40 years, the Auxiliary has raised funds to open and equip the Regional Intensive Care Nursery, purchase a Xeromammography unit, digital mammography units and a Stereotactic Breast Biopsy Unit, expand Cardiac Cath Lab and Intensive Care Unit, and the opening of the Palliative Care Unit along with annual equipment purchases for the inpatient care units.
Auxilians have devoted countless hours and endless creativity to raising funds through an amazing array of projects. The General Auxiliary sponsors The Little Shop, the Conemaugh Classic Golf Tournament, Wine Tasting Party and the Annual Winter Gala. Other fundraisers include baby pictures, baby beads, jewelry, book and uniform sales.