How a woman feels about her body has a lot to do with her overall self-confidence. When breast size or shape is an issue, many women turn to breast augmentation to increase their confidence, look better in their clothes, and…bottom line…present the image they want to the world.
What is your reason for exploring breast surgery?
- Do you want to enlarge your breasts to make your body more proportional or your breasts more balanced in size?
- Is your goal to reshape and enlarge your breasts because they have lost their shape due to pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Your reasons are as unique as you are. That’s why it’s important to have a good understanding about your personal needs and expectations and be able to express them to your surgeon. Together you can then discuss the options available to you and choose just the right implants for your body and desired outcome.
The surgeon will expect you to ask questions-even sensitive ones. A tip-bring your questions in writing so you don’t forget anything important.
Here are some questions you may want to ask:
- How many breast augmentation procedures do you perform each year?
- How many years have you been doing these procedures?
- What is the most common complication you encounter with breast augmentation?
- What is your re-operation rate with breast augmentation, and what is the most common type of re-operation you perform?
- Do you perform this surgery in a hospital or at an independent surgery center?
You’ll also want to ask questions about the procedure itself during your initial consultation:
- What are the risks and complications associated with having breast implants?
- How many operations can I expect over my lifetime on my implanted breasts?
- If I choose to have the implants removed at a later date, how will my breasts look?
- What shape, size, surface texturing, incision site and placement site do you recommend for me?
- How will my ability to breastfeed be affected?
- How can I expect my implanted breasts to look over time?
- How can I expect my implanted breasts to look after pregnancy or after breastfeeding?
- What are my options if I’m dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my implanted breasts?
- What alternate procedures or products are available if I choose not to have breast implants?
- Do you have before and after photos I can look at for each procedure?
- I’d like to be a size B (or C or D) cup size. Do you think that’s appropriate for my body type?
- What results are reasonable for me to expect?