Cosmetic surgery of the nose, or rhinoplasty
, is a procedure to improve the appearance of the nose.
Specific features addressed in cosmetic surgery of the nose, and strictly for appearance enhancement, include:
- Nose size, in relation to facial balance
- Nose width, at the bridge or in the size and position of the nostrils
- Nose profile, with visible humps or depressions on the bridge
- Nasal tip, that is enlarged or bulbous, drooping, upturned or hooked
- Nostrils that are large, wide or upturned
- Nasal asymmetry
These features are generally caused by heredity, however they can be caused by injury. In some cosmetic cases, the characteristics of the nose are not the only factors contributing to facial imbalance. The facial structure - especially a small chin, weak cheeks and/or lower jaw - may also contribute to imbalanced facial proportions. In these cases, surgery of the nose may be performed in conjunction with placement of facial implants or other procedures to achieve overall facial harmony.
Whether you have a personal desire to improve your appearance or you seek to improve breathing function, surgery of the nose is best performed when facial growth is complete, beginning around age 15.
Cosmetic Nose Surgery Candidates
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improvement
Reconstructive Nose Surgery