Conemaugh Nason Medical Center
Admission to Conemaugh Nason Medical Center
During an admission to Conemaugh Nason, staff will talk with the patient to verfiy personal data and insurance information. Patient information is required for hospital records and assists in providing accurate information for the healthcare staff treating the patient. The patient or patient representative will be asked to sign forms to authorize medical treatment during hospitalization. Staff offers a choice of private and semi-private rooms. While every effort is made to honor the patient's preference, alternative arrangements may be necessary for physician orders or hospital requirements. Requests for room changes will be honored as bed space is available.
Pain Management and Comfort
Nursing staff will make every effort to safely treat the patient's pain and keep the patient comfortable. Visitors should notify nursing staff if the patient is showing any of the following signs indicating pain:
- Facial wrinkling, blinking eyes, grimacing
- Guarding an area of the body
- Crying / moaning
- Reduction in social interactions / routines
- Aggression, hitting / biting
- Increase in body movements
- Irritability, increased confusion
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Conemaugh Nason Medical Center is committee to providing quality care to all patients. Patients have the right to:
- Respectful care given by skilled staff
- Receive care no matter age, status, ancestry, color, disability, education, gender identity, income, language, marital status, national origin, race, religious creed, union membership, or source of payment
- Treatment of symptoms that may be associated with illness
- Expect prompt response to report of pain
- Know the names and duties of healthcare team members involved in care
- Expect privacy and confidentialty with regard to care
- Have all health records kept private and not be distributed unless given consent, the law states, or there is a third party agreement
- Know what rules apply to the conduct as a patient
- In case of emergency, to expect emergency treatment without delay
- Quality care and high professional standards that are always kept and reviewed
- Be informed in language that can be understood, of health status including current medical condition
- Before any procedure (except an emergency), physician must obtain informed consent (permission) from patient or patient representative who can legally give consent. The physician will explain treatment options and obtain a signed form that information was received by the physician.
- Spiritual needs addressed.
Conemaugh Nason Medical Center works to ensure patient safety by:
- Educating hospital and medical staff regarding patient safety practices
- Maintaining a Patient Safety Committee with community representation leading to patient safety efforts
- Participating in Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority Initiatives
- Maintaining accreditation by The Joint Commission and participating in its safety initiatives including implementing best practices related to National Patient Safety Goals and encouraging patients to become active, involved, and informed participants in the healthcare team through the Speak Up campaign.
Conemaugh Nason's Patient Safety Officer can be reached at 814.224.6272.
Patients will be asked to present a photo identification card, insurance card, and a form of payment (cash, check, or credit / debit card) if payment is requested prior to hospitalization. Valuable items should then be given to a family member for safe keeping during the patient's hospital admission.
The patient's physician will prescribe medications during a hospital admission. Staff will administer medication to ensure proper tracking in the patient's medical record. Patients should not take medications from home as they will be given to the patient by hospital staff. Patients are encouraged to bring a list of medications with them to the hospital.
Each patient will receive a menu to select meals which comply with the diet prescribed by the physician. Guest trays are available for a nominal cost when the Snack Bar is closed. A guest meal will be offered as a courtesy to a parent or guardian of a pediatric patient (age 14 and under) at each meal during the patient's admission.
Conemaugh Nason's dietitian provides nutrition education free of charge for patients and is available to consult with families.
Conemaugh Nason Medical Center provides each patient a television in his or her room with cable service free of charge. Hospital staff will provide assistance for television operation as needed.
Patient room telephones are available for patients to make and receive calls.
- Calling patient: Family members and friends can reach patient by dialing "224" + direct extension number found on patient's phone. Cell phones may also be used in both patient rooms and waiting areas.
- Local calls: Dial "9" + desired phone number. All local calls are free of charge.
- Long distance calls: These calls will be made collect and will be charged to patient's home phone or calling card.
- Within 814 area code, dial "9" + "0" + "814" + remaining digits of desired phone number
- Outside 814 area code: dial "9" + "0" + entire desired phone number
- AT&T: dial "9" + "1" + "800-225-5288". Patient must call collect to charge calling card.
Newspapers and Mail
Newspapers and other reading materials may be purchased from the Gift Shop.
Letters, packages, and flowers addressed to the patient will be delivered directly to the patient's room.
A private room is located off the Main Lobby for the convenience of anyone desiring a quiet location for rest and meditation.
Notary services are available to patients free of charge. Patients can request assistance from the nursing staff.
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- MedWELL Urgent Care
- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center
- Conemaugh Meyersdale Medical Center
- Conemaugh Miners Medical Center
- Conemaugh Nason Medical Center
- Conemaugh East Hills
- Conemaugh Ebensburg
- Conemaugh Richland
- Conemaugh Meyersdale Outpatient Center
- Conemaugh Physician Group - Primary Care
- Conemaugh Physician Group - Specialty Services