2018 SupremEd (Summer Pre-Med) Student Volunteer Program
What is SupremEd?
Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center's six-week SupremEd Volunteer Program offers college students (ages 18 and older) considering a career as a physician the opportunity to gain experience in assisting patients through volunteering at a premier tertiary care, regional referral hospital. SupremeEd Volunteers will learn about the educational journey of becoming a physician from current medical students, residents, and physicians during a weekly speaker series and by spending time in Conemaugh Memorial's state-of-the-art Medical Skills Learning Center.
- Must commit to eight (8) hours per week (including four-hour volunteer shift)
- May not miss more than one week
- Must be at least entering sophomore year in college
- Must currently be enrolled in Pre-Med course work
- Must have a letter or email of reference
- Must commit to follow all Volunteer Services and hospital guidelines and policies
- Volunteer experience within Conemaugh Health System preferred
- Student must be currently enrolled in a Pre-Med program and completed at least his/her first year of the program by the start date
- Student must have an overall GPA of 3.3 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Student must demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a career as a physician
- Student must be polite, considerate, and demonstrate effective communication skills
- Student must hold permanent residence in Cambria, Somerset, Bedford, or surrounding counties
Students Who Should Not Apply
- Students who cannot commit to eight hours/week for six weeks
- Students who have a Medical Doctorate or are currently practicing medicine in this or another country
- Students applying in search of a recommendation
Documentation to be Submitted
- Volunteer application online www.conemaugh.org/careers/volunteers (list "SupremEd" as interest category)
- Copy of school transcript documenting current GPA
- Recommendation (email or letter) preferably from a professor or advisor
- Personal statement addressing the following points must be submitted from the applicant either in bulleted or narrative format:
- Why have you selected medicine / becoming a physician as your career path?
- Research describing the occupation and how this profession serves the patient
- Academic and clinical training required
- Tuition and related expenses
- Anticipated future job market in Pennsylvania and nationally for this specific career
Submitting Completed Information
Once you have submitted the online volunteer application located at www.conemaugh.org/volunteer, the required documentation above can be submitted by one of the following methods:
- Mail completed requests directly to
- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, Volunteer Services, 1086 Franklin Street, Johnstown, PA 15905
- Fax to (814) 534-9431
- Scan or email to email@example.com
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for the SupremEd Volunteer Program. Spaces are limited. Students who meet qualifications and criteria will be considered on a first come, first served basis.
For questions, contact Volunteer Services at (814) 534-9129.
Created 03/2017, Updated 03/2018