On September 1, 2014, Conemaugh Health System officially became a member of the Duke LifePoint Healthcare family. Duke LifePoint acquired Conemaugh Health System including Conemaugh’s three hospitals, outpatient centers and Conemaugh Physician Group practices. With the closing agreement, Duke LifePoint will invest more than half a billion dollars through 2024 to strengthen and grow Conemaugh Health System.
Conemaugh’s Board of Directors and leadership team invested significant time in a thoughtful, deliberate process to determine the ideal future for Conemaugh Health System and the care provided to patients. Conemaugh can be stronger and achieve its vision faster with a like-minded partner that shares a commitment to expand clinical services, grow educational efforts, invest in the region and ensure that patients have access to excellent, affordable care.
Duke LifePoint, one of the nation’s leading healthcare systems, is the perfect fit. Both organizations are committed to maintaining Conemaugh’s culture of openness, friendliness and dedication to providing the ideal patient experience.
- Commitment to Quality: A leading goal of this partnership is to further enhance the quality of care provided by Conemaugh Health System. Conemaugh will participate in the Duke LifePoint Quality Program, which will link Conemaugh’s hospitals to Duke LifePoint’s quality and patient safety initiatives.
- Employees: Duke LifePoint has hired all active employees of Conemaugh in good standing after pre-employment screenings to continue high standard of care and economic commitment to the community.
- Governance: Conemaugh maintains a local board, which includes local community members, physicians from the active medical staff, the CEO and a representative from Duke.
- Services: Duke LifePoint and Conemaugh Health System are maintaining and expanding the type and scope of clinical services available for the region.
- Information Technology Integration: Duke LifePoint commits to further developing Conemaugh’s Information System and related technology infrastructure.
- Graduate Education: Duke LifePoint commits to helping develop and expand graduate residency, nursing and allied health programs at Conemaugh.
- Maintaining Charity Care: Duke LifePoint has assumed Conemaugh’s charity care policy and it will remain the same.
- Financial Impact: Duke LifePoint will invest more than half a billion dollars over ten years to fund outpatient and inpatient care facilities, technology, equipment and physician recruitment. This includes investments to build outpatient centers in Richland and Ebensburg and a medical education conference center, and to enhance the system’s informational technology platform.
- Regional Economic Benefits: As a for-profit system, Duke LifePoint’s relationship with Conemaugh brings much-needed tax revenue to the community. The new facility development projects brings the potential for additional construction jobs to the community.
Click here to read the official press release regarding the acquisition.